History

Prior to 1943, the Community Chest Committe of the Corsicana Chamber of Commerce performed activities similar to the traditonal United Way collaborative efforts to meet the social service needs of Navarro County. In 1943, the Community Chest was constitued as a separate organization for the following purposes:

 

  • To solicit and collect from individuals, corporations associations, partnerships and others, funds for benevolent, charitable, character building and patriotic purposes;
  • To protect the public against unncessary and costly campaigns;
  • To distribute the collected moneys as the board of directors may deem wise; and
  • To combine all drives into three major drives – Corsicana Community Chest, Red Cross, and War Stamps and Bonds.

 

The Corsicana Community Chest funded 8 charities in 1943. Tax exempt status was established with the IRS in 1960, and remains in effect today. Ins September, 1972, the name was changed to Navarro County United Fund, Texas, Inc., and the group reorganized to meet the requirements of affiliation with United Ways of America and Texas. United Way of Navarro County currently supports 20 social service organizations. These charitable organizations provide a wide range of services to people of all ages in need of just about any conceivable assistance.